Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market By Catalyst Type, By Manufacturing Process, By End-Use Industry, And By Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, And Middle East & Africa) – Global Forecast From 2020 To 2029
25th October 2019
- find_in_page Our Research Methodology is based on the following main points:
- Data Collections and Interpretation
- Data Validation
- Final Projections and Conclusion
The global polypropylene catalyst market revenue is expected to register a CAGR of 5.7% and is projected to be valued at approximately US$ 2 Bn in 2029. The global polypropylene catalyst market is segmented on the basis of catalyst type, manufacturing process, end-use industry, and region. The report includes in-depth study and offers drivers and restraints. It also provides a detailed overview of potential opportunities and current trends observed in the target market, along with profiles of key players. Revenues for each segment, region, and key countries as well as growth rates have been provided in the final global polypropylene catalyst market report.
Polypropylene Catalyst: Overview
Polypropylene (PP) is a thermoplastic polymer used in a variety of applications, including flexible and rigid packaging for consumer products, food and beverage containers, plastic parts for the automobiles in automotive industry, films and sheets, toys, electronics, certain medical devices, textiles, and living hinges. It has similar properties to polyethylene (PE), but is considerably harder and has enhanced resistance to heat. The polymer has low density, tough, chemical resistance, stress and crack resistance, better clarity and gloss, isotactic, lower thermal expansion rate, attributing to PP being the second most widely produced plastic across the globe. The global production of polypropylene crossed 73 MMT in the year 2016.
There are three major processes to produce polypropylene, namely bulk, gas-phase, and slurry processes. Majority of PP production across the globe is carried out by the bulk process, followed by the gas-phase process, while the slurry process is almost nearing being phased-out. Polypropylene is mainly produced by the chain-growth polymerization of propene and catalysts are integral for the polymerization of propene. A catalyst is normally used to reduce the energy for the polymerization process thereby speeding up the reaction and allowing it to proceed even under mild conditions. Ziegler-Natta catalysts have been a critical discovery for the polymerization of catalyst and one of the most popular catalysts used for the production of PP. The catalyst is based on titanium tetrachloride (TiCl4) and diethylaluminum chloride [(C2H5)2AlCl] as a co-catalyst for the polymerization of ethylene into high molecular weight HDPE (high-density polyethylene) at room temperature. It was also further used to polymerize propylene into crystalline PP. The Ziegler-Natta catalysts are further divided in two classes, namely heterogeneous and homogenous catalysts. Heterogeneous catalysts are based on titanium or vanadium and used in combination with organo-aluminum compounds as co-catalysts, while homogenous catalysts are based on titanium, zirconium and hafnium and used in conjunction with organo-aluminum co-catalysts known as metallocene/ methylaluminoxane (MAO).
Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market: Drivers
Robust demand for polypropylene from end-use industries including packaging, consumer goods, electronics, automotive, industrial parts, textiles, and others is expected to boost production of polypropylene, thus reflecting in a heightened demand for its catalysts in the coming years.
An upsurge in the number of small, low-cost manufacturers in North America, Middle East, and other regions, owing to low-price of oil & gas derivative feedstock is expected to bolster the production of PP, thereby impacting the adoption of PP catalysts positively.
Moreover, the feedstock for PP is Propene, which is mainly derived from petrochemicals. Prevailing low prices of oil and surge in Shale gas supplies is likely to favor the production of PP in the coming years, hence augmenting the target market growth.
Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market: Segment and Region Insights
Insights, by Catalyst Type:
The Ziegler-Natta segment is projected to dominate in the global market over the 10-year forecast period and is expected to register highest growth of more than 5.6%. Ziegler-Natta catalysts provide the advantage of higher efficiency, higher tacticity, durability, high polymer concentration, lower cost of production, higher stability, regeneration of catalyst, control over product chemistry and others, which attributes to its high adoption rate for PP production.
The metallocene segment is expected to record second-highest revenue share in the global market. Metallocene catalysts are considered the next-generation catalysts. These catalysts provide highly pure and consistent polymer resins with well-defined properties. As opposed to Zieglar-Natta, these catalysts are homogenous and are extremely efficient for making PP with specific tacticity. It can be controlled to produce isotactic and syndiotactic polymers, depending on customer needs.
Insights, by Manufacturing Process:
The gas phase manufacturing segment is projected to dominate in the target market, and is expected to register highest growth rate of more than 5.9%. The bulk phase segment is expected to account for second-largest share in terms of revenue, as well as second-highest CAGR over the 10-year forecast period.
Insights, by End-use Industry:
The packaging industry segment is projected to account for major revenue share followed by the automotive industry vertical. In addition, the packaging segment is expected to register fastest CAGR of more than 5.8%.
Insights, by Region:
The Asia Pacific market is projected to account for highest revenue share in the global polypropylene catalyst market, and is projected to register highest growth of more than 5.6% over the forecast period. The North America market is projected to record second-highest revenue share in the target market, followed by Europe market.
Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market: Key Developments
Clariant AG (Year 2018)
- New Products/Services; Clariant launched non-reversible humidity indicator Humitector Type 2.
- New Products/Services; Clariant introduced Emulsogen MTP 020, Emulsogen MTP 030 and Emulsogen MTP 090.
- New Products/Services; Clariant launched Sorb-It PHARMA desiccant bags for primary pharmaceutical packaging.
- New Products/Services; Clariant introduced OleMax 260, a new selective hydrogenation catalyst.
- Contracts/Agreements; In September, the company and Saudi Basic Industries signed a governance agreement for the long-term strategic relationship.
Clariant AG (Year 2017)
- Corporate Changes/Expansions; Clariant announced that it will expand its plant in Lewiston, Maine to produce more medical plastic compounds.
- Contracts/Agreements; Clariant was awarded a contract by Dongguan Grand Resource Science & Technology to develop a new propane dehydrogenation unit in cooperation with CB&I.
- Contracts/Agreements; Clariant announced an expanded partnership with Lintech International for the plastics and rubber pigment product lines in North America.
Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market Segmentation:
Segmentation by Catalyst Type:
- Ziegler-Natta Catalyst
- Metallocene Catalyst
- Other Catalyst Types (single-site catalysts (SSC), mixed di-ether-succinate catalysts, and custom catalysts)
Segmentation by Manufacturing Process:
- Gas Phase
- Bulk Phase
- Other Manufacturing Processes (Slurry and Hybrid)
Segmentation by End-Use Industry:
- Other End-Use Industries (Textiles, etc.)
Segmentation based on Region:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa
- Clariant AG
- China Petrochemical Corporation or Sinopec Group
- Toho Titanium Co. Ltd.
- Total S.A (Hanwha Total Petrochemicals Co., Ltd.)
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corp (Japan Polypropylene Corporation)
- R. Grace and Co. (Grace Catalysts Technologies and Grace Materials Technologies)
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
- RAG-Stiftung (Evonik Industries AG)
- INEOS Group Limited
- Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
- Chapter 1 Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market Overview
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market by Catalyst Type, Manufacturing Process and End-use Industry
- 1.3 Drivers for Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market
- 1.4 Restraints for Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market
- 1.5 Opportunities for Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market
- 1.6 Trends for Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market
- 1.7 PEST Analysis
- 1.8 PORTER’s Five Forces Analysis
- 1.9 Macro-Economic Factors
- 1.10 Industry Chain Analysis
- 1.11 Manufacturing Cost Analysis
- 1.12 Global Polypropylene Catalyst Pricing Analysis for Ziegler-Natta (US$/kg) by Region, 2019
- 1.13 Global Polypropylene Catalyst Pricing Analysis of Metallocene (US$/kg) by Region, 2019
- 1.14 Product Life Cycle Analysis
- 1.15 Market Investment Feasibility Analysis
- Chapter 1 Global Polypropylene Catalyst Market Overview
Request for Customization
Don't just take our word. We are trusted by these great companies!