Global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) Market By Grade, By Application, By End-Use Industry, And By Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, And Middle East & Africa) – Global Forecast From 2020 To 2029
16th September 2019
find_in_page Our Research Methodology is based on the following main points:
- Data Collections and Interpretation
- Data Validation
- Final Projections and Conclusion
The global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) market revenue is expected to register a CAGR of 5.1%, and is projected to be valued at approximately US$ 1 Bn in 2029. The global dicyclopentadiene market is segmented on the basis of grade, application, end-use industry, and region. The report includes in-depth study and offers drivers and restraints. It also provides a detailed overview of potential opportunities and current trends observed in the target market, along with profiles of key players. Revenues for each segment, region, and key countries as well as growth rates have been provided in the final global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) market report.
Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD): Overview
Dicyclopentadiene or DCPD is a clear yellowish liquid with an acrid odor and flash point of 90° Fahrenheit. DCPD vapors could irritate respiratory system and eyes. When subjected to heat for prolonged period or in case of contamination, it could be subjected to polymerization. In addition, if polymerization process takes place inside the container, it could violently rupture. Dicyclopentadiene is insoluble in water, and has density of 8.2 lb/ gal. Dicyclopentadiene is widely used in varnishes, paints, as a flame retardant in plastics, and as an intermediate in insecticides. DCPD has excellent mechanical properties such as good impact strength even at - 40° C, good acid-resistance and bases-resistance, low specific gravity of 1.03, among other properties.
Global Dicyclopentadiene Market: Dynamics
Drivers: Rapidly growing end-use industries for the product, particularly construction and automotive industries, has resulted in increasing demand for dicyclopentadiene which is expected to drive growth of the global market. Inreasing preference for eco-friendly green buildings and growing investments in the industrial, commercials and residential sectors is projected to lead to higher number of construction activities across developed as well as developing countries, which is expected to further augment demand for DCPD material and thereby drive growth of the global dicyclopentadiene market.
Widening scope of applications of DCPD is expected to lead to higher adoption for use in Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) elastomers and hydrocarbon resins, along with other applications. In addition, inclining demand for bio-based EPDM is projected to boost adoption of dicyclopentadiene as it is one of the dienes that are widely used in manufacturing of EPDM. Growing adoption of DCPD as a ingredient in production of EPDM elastomers is expected to drive the market growth in the years to come. Development of new applications and new grades, particularly bio-based EPDM, helps to lower carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions.
Increasing focus on developments in industries related to resins and plastic is projected to propel growth of the target market in the forthcoming years. Additionally, stringent regulations imposed by government of various economies, to develop and use environment-friendly products is preojected to fuel demand for EPDM and, in turn, DPCD.
Restraints: Increasing adoption of substitutes such as phthalic anhydride as an alternative to DCPD, particularly in manufacturing of boats, is a major factor that could hamper growth of the market. In addition, environmental concerns associated with E&P activities that include waste-water treatment for enhanced oil recovery methods is another factor that could challenge growth of the target market to some extent.
Trends: The global dicyclopentadiene market is extremely fragmented, due to presence of numerous large and small players operating in the global market. Robust competition among the existing players and increasing number of new entrants is expected to further result in intense competition among companies. Major players are adopting new strategies such as mergers, collaborations, partnerships, acquisitions, joint ventures, etc. in order to sustain the tough competition an increase revenue profits. For instance, US-based Dow Chemical Company merged with E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Company (DuPont) to build a new compnay and named it as DowDuPont.
Global Dicyclopentadiene Market: Segment and Region Insights
Insights, by Grade:
Among the grade segments, the polyester grade segment is projected to account for major revenue share, and is expected to continue to contribute highest revenue share in the global market. The high purity grade segment is expected to register comparatively higher Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of more than 5.5%, among grade segments.
Insights, by Application:
Among the applications of DCPD, the unsaturated polyester resin segment is projected to account for major share in terms of revenue, followed by the hydrocarbon resins and poly-DCPD segments. In addition, the hydrocarbon resin segment is expected to register highest compound annual growth rate of more than 5.2% over the 10-year forecast period.
Insights, by End-use Industry:
Among the industry verticals, the building and construction segment is projected to account for highest revenue share followed by the automotive and electrical & electronicssegments. Furthermore, the automotive segment is expected to register highest growth rate of more than 5.1% over the forecast period.
Insights, by Region:
The Asia Pacific market is estimated to record highest share in terms of revenue, followed by the markets in North America, Europe, South America, and Middle East & Africa, respecively. The Asia Pacific dicyclopentadiene market is expected to register highest CAGR of over 4.4%.
Global Dicyclopentadiene Market: Key Developments
Royal Dutch Shell PLC (Year 2018)
- Divestiture: In January, Shell completed the divestiture of first phase of LPG marketing business in Hong Kong and Macau.
- Others: In January, the company and ITM Power announced to build hydrogen electrolysis plant at Rhineland refinery.
- Divestiture: In February, the company announced to divest 22.2% stake in Bongkot field offshore Thailand for US$750 million.
- New Products/Services: In February, Shell launched FuelSave Diesel Euro 5 in Sarawak, a Malaysian state.
- Contracts/Agreements: In February, the company and Saudi Basic Industries Corp, partnered for Iraq’s Nebras petrochemical project.
- Others: In March, Shell announced to exit from the developed coalition of the Gaza gas field.
- Others: In March, Shell and AirFlow Truck Company announced to build an efficient Class 8 truck.
- Contracts/Agreements: In March, Venture Global Calcasieu Pass, LLC, a subsidiary of Venture Global LNG, Inc., signed an agreement with Shell to increase LNG Purchase to Two million tonnes per annum (MTPA).
- Contracts/Agreements: In March, Shell Trinidad Central Block and Range Resources signed an agreement to work on Shell's operations onshore Trinidad.
- Contracts/Agreements: In July, Shell won an exploration acreage offshore contract in Mauritania, Africa.
- Contracts/Agreements: In May, Shell entered into an agreement with Pemex for hydrocarbon exploration and extraction in deep-water blocks in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Contracts/Agreements: In July, Shell and Innospection partnered for a GBP6.8 million project to develop robots to inspect tanks of floating production, storage and offloading vessels (FPSOs).
- Contracts/Agreements: In August, the company's subsidiary, Shell Exploration and Production Company awarded a contract to McDermott to install the subsea umbilical and flowline at the Perdido development in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Contracts/Agreements: In August, Shell awarded a contract to DNV GL for integrated verification and class services for the Penguins Field redevelopment on the UK Continental Shelf.
- Acquisitions/Mergers/Takeovers: In August, the company agreed to acquire 20.43% stake in blocks, 23/11a, 23/16b and 23/16c in Arran field in the UK Central North Sea, from Dana Petroleum (E&P).
Global Dicyclopentadiene Market Segmentation:
Segmentation based on Grade:
- High Purity
- Polyester Grade (UPR)
- Hydrocarbon Resin Grade
Segmentation based on Application:
- Unsaturated Polyester Resin
- Hydrocarbon Resins
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Elastomers
- Cyclic Olefin Copolymer & Cyclic Olefin Polymer
Segmentation based on End-use Industry:
- Building & Construction
- Electrical & Electronics
Segmentation based on Region:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa
- DowDuPont Inc.
- Chevron Corp. (Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC)
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- JXTG Holdings Inc. (JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy)
- Exxon Mobil Corp.
- Henan Haofei Chemical Co. Ltd.
- Tokyo Chemical Industry Co.Ltd.
- Shandong Yuhuang Chemical Co. Ltd.
- Merck Group
- Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical Company Limited
- Chapter 1 Global Dicyclopentadiene Market Insights
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) Market is segmented on the basis of Grade, Application and End-Use Industry
- 1.3 Drivers of Global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) Market
- 1.4 Restraints of Global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) Market
- 1.5 Opportunities in Global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) Market
- 1.6 Trends of Global Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) Market
- 1.7 PEST Analysis
- 1.8 PORTER’s Five Forces Analysis
- 1.9 Macro-economic Factors
- 1.10 Opportunity Orbits
- 1.11 Opportunity Map Analysis
- 1.11.1 Optimistic Scenario
- 1.11.2 Likely Scenario
- 1.11.3 Conservative Scenario
- 1.12 Manufacturing Ecosystem
- Chapter 1 Global Dicyclopentadiene Market Insights
Don't just take our word. We are trusted by these great companies!