Global Surgical Scalpels Market by Product, by Type, by Material, by End User, and by Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa) – Forecast from 2020 to 2029
22nd July 2019
The global surgical scalpels market is expected to be valued over US$ 1 Billion in 2029 and is projected to register a CAGR of 4.4% over the 10-year forecast period. The surgical scalpels market report has been segmented on the basis of product type, application, and region/country.
Surgical Scalpel: Overview
Surgical scalpel, also called as lancet or bistoury, is small and sharp bladed instrument used for cutting skin and tissues while surgeries. Surgical scalpel comprises two parts, namely, handle and blade. Scalpel shape and size, and usage differs depending on type of surgeries performed. Scalpels are available in re-usable and disposable types. With respect to re-usable type, the blade is only used once and can be replaced by another blade, using the same handle. Also, some of the blades of re-suable scalpel are simply sterilized and sharpened for re-use. Whereas, disposable scalpels have plastic handle with sharp blade, and the instrument is disposed of after single or one-time use.
The blades of scalpel are designed and produced in such a way that fit only specific handle by using accurate fitment size. The blades are generally made up of tempered steel, high carbon steel, or stainless steel. Also, titanium, ceramic, obsidian knives, and even a diamond can be used. In addition, the handle grips are of two types, pencil grip and palmar grip. The palmer grip is also called as dinner-knife grip, that is ideal option for large cuts and initial incisions. On the other hand, pencil grip, along with smaller-sized blades is mainly used for small and accurate cuts.
Dynamics: Global Surgical Scalpels Market
Increasing number of surgical procedures is expected to result in increasing requirement for larger volume of surgical scalpels and this in turn is expected to drive growth of the target market in the coming years. Also, doctors are more inclined towards using traditional scalpels because of easy availability, low price, and comfort level, owing to this, adoption of scalpels is expected to bolster, thereby driving market growth over the forecast period.
Rising number of healthcare facilities such as hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and clinics across the globe is expected to lead to higher demand for surgical scalpels in the coming years, which in turn is expected to propel market growth. Furthermore, the regulatory requirements for product launch is not that stringent, which is additional factor projected to drive market growth.
Primary factors such as growing geriatric population and increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and disorders are expected to support market growth. Inclining demand for cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries and increasing spending on healthcare among people are other primary factors supporting market growth.
However, shifting preference from traditional surgeries to alternative minimally invasive surgeries could hinder market growth. Additionally, absence of crucial product developments of surgical scalpels could obstruct market growth to some extent.
Opportunity Map Analysis:
Global Surgical Scalpels Market Segment Analysis:Going by an optimistic scenario, the global surgical scalpels market revenue is projected to expand at a CAGR of over 5% and reach a value of approximatley US$ 1.6 Bn in 2029. Considering a likely scenario, the global market revenue is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4.4% and reach a value exceeding US$ 1.5 Bn. While a conservative scenario would result in the global surgical scalpels market registering a CAGR of 3.5% and value of around US$ 1.4 Bn over the 10-year period.
By Product: Out of the three product segments, the disposable surgical scalpel segment is estimated to record higher revenue share and register higher CAGR of over 4.9% as compared to other product segments.
By Type: The standard surgical scalpel segment is projected to dominate in the global market. The safety surgical scalpel segment is projected to register highest growth rate of over 4.8% over the 10-year forecast period.
By Material: The stainless steel segment is expected to account for majority share in terms of revenue till 2029. The high-grade carbon steel segment is projected to register highest CAGR of over 4.7% over the 10-year period.
By End-user: The hospitals segment is projected to contribute largest revenue share, owing to higher number of patient foot falls in hospitals for surgery purpose. The ambulatory surgical centers segment is projected to register comparatively higher growth rate of over 4.5% over the 10-year period.
Global Surgical Scalpels Market: Analysis by Region:
The North America surgical scalpels market is projected to contribute largest revenue share in the global market. The Europe and Asia Pacific markets are projected to account for major revenue shares in the global market. In addition, the Asia Pacific market is projected to register highest CAGR of over 4.6% over the 10-year period.
Key Developments by Companies:
- Dynarex Corporation was established in 1967 and has evolved into one of the healthcare industry's leading manufacturers of disposable medical products. Products offered by the company include Medicut Safety Scalpels, Medicut Scalpels Disposables, and Obstetrical Kit.
- In June 2019, Dynarex enhances its Durable Medical Equipment product portfolio with new products
- In 2018, Dynarex Partners with Chai Lifeline in Annual Toy Drive
- In May 2017, Dynarex expands its Personal Care business segment and added numerous products include SannyTize Hand Sanitizer, DynaSoap Antibacterial Soap, Denture Brush, Large Handle Comb and Hair Pick, etc.
- In 2014, Dynarex Corporation donates thousands of dollars of medical disposable products to 25 Matthew Ministries in December 2014.
- World Precision Instruments, Inc. provides instruments and tools. The Company offers intracellular, extracellular, epithelial voltage clamp, micro-pressure, transducer amplifiers, etc.
- In 2019, The company demonstrated its Zebrafish System in Brazil
- In 2016, The company expand its business in Brazil
- In 2015, The company developed the cell tester for muscle studies on single cell
Global Surgical Scalpels Market Segmentation:
- Disposable Surgical Scalpel
- Reusable Surgical Scalpel
- Standard Surgical Scalpel
- Safety Surgical Scalpel
- Stainless Steel
- High-Grade Carbon Steel
- Other Material
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Other End Users
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa
- Danaher Corporation
- Braun Melsungen AG
- Ansell Limited
- Integra Life Sciences Corporation
- Hill-Rom Services Inc.
- Swann Morton Limited
- pfm medical ag
- Sklar Surgical Instruments
- Dynarex Corporation
- World Precision Instruments, Inc.
- Chapter 1 Global Surgical Scalpels Market Overview
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Drivers
- 1.3 Restraints
- 1.4 Opportunity
- 1.5 Trends
- 1.6 PEST Analysis
- 1.7 Value Chain Analysis
- 1.8 Global Surgical Scalpels Pricing Analysis (US$/Unit) by Product Type, 2019
- 1.9 PORTER' Five Forces Analysis
- 1.10 Macro-economic Factors
- 1.11 Regional Market Share and BPS Analysis
- 1.12 Opportunity Map Analysis
- 1.12.1 Optimistic Scenario
- 1.12.2 Likely Scenario
- 1.12.3 Conservative Scenario
- Chapter 1 Global Surgical Scalpels Market Overview
Don't just take our word. We are trusted by these great companies!