Set-Top Box Market By Product Type (Digital Cable, Satellite Digital, Terrestrial Digital) By Application (Residential, Commercial) and Region - Global Forecast 2026
The global set-top box market Introduction:
“The global set-top box Market size is expected to be worth around US$ xx Billion by 2021 from US$ X.xx million in 2031, growing at a CAGR of X.x% during the forecast period 2021 to 2031.”
This report is based on synthesis, analysis, and interpretation of information gathered regarding the target market from various sources. Our analysts have analyzed the information and data and gained insights using a mix of primary and secondary research efforts with the primary objective to provide a holistic view of the market.
In addition, an in-house study has been made of the global economic conditions and other economic indicators and factors to assess their respective impact on the market historically, as well as the current impact in order to make informed forecasts about the scenarios in future.
Set-top boxes (STBs) are devices that connect TVs to an external signal source and transform the signal into video content that is displayed on the television screen.
The term set-top box refers to devices used to transform a signal, from either cable or satellite, to connect a television with some external broadcasted signal source. The set-top box modulates broadcasted signals into audiovisual content that can either be displayed on a monitor or recorded.
Global Set-Top Box Market: Dynamics
A major factor driving growth of the global set-top box market is increasing popularity of high definition (HD) channels among consumers, coupled with increasing adoption of smart TVs. In addition, rising awareness pertaining to Internet-based set-top box devices such as IPTV and OTT, as well as increasing development and introduction of innovative products such as 4K UHD TVs, 3D smart interactive TVs, and OLED TVs are some factors further fueling growth of the global set-top box market.
Furthermore, increasing penetration of smart television units and value added services in urban as well as rural areas globally is further expected to boost revenue growth of the target market over the forecast period.
However, rising adoption of smart TVs, Apple TVs, 4K TVs, IPTV services, coupled with development of high-speed broadband infrastructure in developing countries is expected to create potential revenue opportunities for players in the target market.
Market analysis by product type:
On the basis of product type product type segmentation, the satellite digital segment is expected to contribute major revenue share, and is expected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period. The satellite digital segment is expected to witness highest CAGR of 4%, owing to picture quality of satellite digital type set-top boxes is high. Vendors in the market are investing in satellite digital type hardware to provide the latest technologies such as digital video recorder and traditional functionalities integrated with cloud services, which are other factors expected to drive revenue growth of this segment.
Market analysis by Application:
On the basis of application segment, the residential segment is expected to contribute major revenue share, and is expected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period. The residential segment is expected to witness highest CAGR of 4%, owing to high adoption of set-up box in households in developed and some developing economies.
Market analysis by region:
China market is expected to dominate the target market, and this can be attributed to growing demand for smart televisions owing to increasing purchase power and spending capacity of consumers, and introduction of HD and UHD channels are expected to drive revenue growth of China set-top box market. In 2013 for instance, according to National Bureau of Statistics of China, there were 228,94,000 cable radio and TV users, which increased to 23,458,000 users in 2014.
In addition, increasing awareness related to Internet-based STB devices, such as IPTV and over-the-top units are expected to create lucrative opportunities for set-top box manufacturers in the country over the next few years.
Moreover, growing popularity of IP television in the country, which involves transmission of traditional TV content over the Internet, is expected to support revenue growth of the China set-top box market over the forecast period. For instance, according to Oxford Economics, the number of IPTV subscribers increased rapidly from 10 Mn in 2014, to 60 Mn in 2016.
Presence of prominent players such as Skyworth Digital Holdings Ltd., Huawei Investment & Holding Co., Ltd., Apple Inc., and HUMAX HOLDINGS Co., Ltd., and others in the country is expected to result in rising adoption of set-top boxes over the next few years.
The market in the US is expected to account second-largest revenue share in global market. This can be attributed to increasing spending capacity among consumers in the country, coupled with early adoption of technologically advanced electronic devices trend are major factors driving growth of the US set-top box market currently. In addition, various OTT services offered along with set-top boxes such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Viu, etc. is another major factor driving growth of the market in the country.
The market in India is expected to contribute significant revenue share in the global market, owing to introduction of HD channels, rising adoption of smart televisions, increasing awareness regarding Internet-based STB devices, and growing demand for high quality audio and video content are among other factors expected to support revenue growth of India set-top box market.
In addition, growing demand for televisions in the country owing to increasing spending capacity, rapid urbanization, and rising standard of living of individuals in rural areas are major factors expected to drive revenue growth of India set-top box market over the forecast period. In 2016, according to India Brand Equity Foundation, the television market in India was valued at US$ 9.23 Bn, which increased to US$ 8.28 Bn in 2015.
Growing R&D activities by manufacturers in the country for development of hybrid DTH set-top box is expected to support revenue growth of India set-top box market. In April 2017, Bharti Airtel announced launch of Internet TV – a hybrid set-top box – which enables access to online content which can be viewed and streamed via the TV, and supports 500-plus satellite TV channels.
Furthermore, Mandatory government regulations regarding usage of registered set-top boxes rather than wired cable television broadcast channels is expected to drive revenue growth of the set-top box market in the country.
Global Set-Top Box Market Segmentation:
Global Set-Top Box Market Segmentation, by product type:
- Digital Cable
- Satellite Digital
- Terrestrial Digital
Global Set-Top Box Market Segmentation, by Application:
Global Set-Top Box Market Segmentation, by region/country:
- Southeast Asia
- South America
- South Africa
- Rest of the World
Attribute Report Details Market Size Ask For Market Size Growth Rate Ask For Growth Rate Key Companies Ask For Companies Report Coverage Revenue analysis, Competitive landscape, Key company analysis, Market Trends, Key segments, Distribution Channel, Market Dynamics, COVID-19 Impact Analysis and more… Historical Data Period 2015-2020 Base Year 2022 Forecast Period 2022-2031 Region Scope North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, Middle East & Africa Country Scope United States, Canada and Mexico, Germany, France, UK, Russia and Italy, China, Japan, Korea, India and Southeast Asia, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia etc.Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa Revenue in US$ Mn
- ARRIS International plc.
- Technicolor SA
- Apple Inc.
- EchoStar Corporation
- HUMAX HOLDINGS Co., Ltd. (HUMAX Electronics Co., Ltd.)
- SAGEMCOM SAS
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- Roku, Inc.
- Skyworth Digital Holdings Ltd.
- Huawei Investment & Holding Co., Ltd. (Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.)
- 1.0 Chapter 1
- 1.1 Preface
- 1.2 Assumptions
- 1.3 Abbreviations
- 2.1 Report Description
- 2.1.1 Market Definition and Scope
- 2.2 Executive Summary
- 2.2.1 Market Snapshot, By Product type
- 2.2.3 Market Snapshot, By Application
- 2.2.4 Market Snapshot, By Region/Country
- 2.2.5 Prudour Opportunity Map Analysis
- 3.0.1 Global Set-Top Box Market Dynamics
- 3.0.2 Drivers (D)
- 3.0.3 Restraints (R)
- 3.0.4 Opportunities
- 3.0.5 Trends
- 3.0.6 DR Impact Analysis
- 3.0.7 PEST Analysis
- 3.0.8 PORTER’S Five Forces Analysis
- 3.0.9 Value Chain Overview
- 3.0.10 Import/Export Scenario
- 3.0.11 Industry Landscape
- 3.0.12 Technological Trends
- 3.0.13 List of Distributors/Suppliers
- 3.0.14 Industry News
- 4.0.1 Global Set-Top Box Market Analysis, by Product Type
- 4.0.2 Overview
- 4.0.3 Segment Trends
- 4.0.4 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, 2013–2027
- 4.1 Digital Cable
- 4.1.1 Overview
- 4.1.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 4.2 Satellite Digital
- 4.2.1 Overview
- 4.2.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 4.3 Terrestrial Digital
- 4.3.1 Overview
- 4.3.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 4.4 IPTV
- 4.4.1 Overview
- 4.4.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 4.5 Over-The-Top (OTT)
- 4.5.1 Overview
- 4.5.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 5.0.1 Global Set-Top Box Market Analysis, by Application
- 5.0.2 Overview
- 5.0.3 Segment Trends
- 5.0.4 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, 2013–2027
- 5.1 Residential
- 5.1.1 Overview
- 5.1.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 5.2 Commercial
- 5.2.1 Overview
- 5.2.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 6.0.1 Global Set-Top Box Market Analysis, by Region/Country
- 6.0.2 Overview
- 6.0.3 Regional Trends
- 6.0.4 Market Attractiveness Index
- 6.0.5 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, 2013–2027
- 7.1.1 Overview
- 7.1.3 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.2.1 Overview
- 7.2.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.3.1 Overview
- 7.3.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.4.1 Overview
- 7.4.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.5.1 Overview
- 7.5.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.6.1 Overview
- 7.6.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.7.1 Overview
- 7.7.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.8.1 Overview
- 7.8.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 7.9.1 Overview
- 7.9.2 Market Value (US$ Mn) and Forecast, and Y-o-Y Growth, 2013–2027
- 8.0.1 Company Profile
- 8.1 ARRIS International plc.
- 8.1.1 Company Overview
- 8.1.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.1.3 Financial Overview
- 8.1.4 Recent Developments
- 8.1.5 Contact Information
- 8.2 Technicolor SA
- 8.2.1 Company Overview
- 8.2.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.2.3 Financial Overview
- 8.2.4 Contact Information
- 8.3 Apple Inc.
- 8.3.1 Company Overview
- 8.3.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.3.3 Financial Overview
- 8.3.4 Contact Information
- 8.4 EchoStar Corporation
- 8.4.1 Company Overview
- 8.4.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.4.3 Financial Overview
- 8.4.4 Key Developments
- 8.4.5 Contact Information
- 8.5 HUMAX HOLDINGS Co., Ltd. (HUMAX Electronics Co., Ltd.)
- 8.5.1 Company Overview
- 8.5.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.5.3 Financial Overview
- 8.5.4 Contact Information
- 8.6 SAGEMCOM SAS
- 8.6.1 Company Overview
- 8.6.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.6.3 Contact Information
- 8.7 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- 8.7.1 Company Overview
- 8.7.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.7.3 Financial Overview
- 8.7.4 Contact Information
- 8.8 Roku, Inc.
- 8.8.1 Company Overview
- 8.8.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.8.3 Financial Overview
- 8.8.4 Contact Information
- 8.9 Skyworth Digital Holdings Ltd.
- 8.9.1 Company Overview
- 8.9.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.9.3 Financial Overview
- 8.9.4 Contact Information
- 8.10 Huawei Investment & Holding Co., Ltd. (Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.)
- 8.10.1 Company Overview
- 8.10.2 Product Portfolio
- 8.10.3 Financial Overview
- 8.10.4 Contact Information
- 9.0.1 Research Methodology
- 9.0.2 About Us
Why Choose Us
- 360 Degree Approach
- Growth Consulting
- 24/7 Research Support
- Comprehensive-Level of Customization
- Comprehensive-Level of Customization
- Competitive Intelligence
- Single-Country/ Region Intelligence
- Post-Sale Service Assistance
- Access to Lead Analysts
- Available in PDF, Excel, Word/ PPT
Request for Customization
Don't just take our word. We are trusted by these great companies!