Portable Generator Market By Fuel Type (Diesel, Gasoline, And Others), By Power Ratings (Less Than 5kw, 5–10kw, And Above 10kw), By End User (Residential And Commercial), and Region - Global Forecast to 2028
28th Feb 2019
The global portable generators market is expected to value at nearly US$ 3.2 Bn in 2019 and is expected to register a CAGR of 5.6%. The global portable generator market is segmented on the basis of fuel type, power rating, end-user, and region.
Global Portable Generator Market: Introduction
Portable generators are used to generate electric power in domestic, commercial, and industrial applications. Generating electricity for live commercial events, electrifying machinery in construction sites, additional power supply during a power outage, and others.
Global Portable Generator Market: Dynamics
Many buildings, such as hospitals, airports, data centers, water and sewage facilities, fueling stations, and communication and transportation systems, require some sort of alternative power supply system during unexpected situations. When these sudden situations occur, backup power offers a power source in order to support the load on equipment via uninterruptible power supplies, generators, or battery-storage systems. Moreover, the expansion of industrial infrastructure and commercial infrastructure is estimated to drive demand for portable generators, generally deployed as a standby power source.
Rising weather-related power blackouts and growing demand for reliable and continuous power supply in developing as well as developed countries are projected to drive growth of the target market over the forecast period. In addition, increasing dependency on interconnected technology systems and rising construction activities, that require electric power for its effective and efficient operations, rising demand for power along with a rising frequency of power grid failures across the globe are some other factors expected to fuel growth of the target market.
However, high operational and maintenance cost along with the limited duration of power supply, may hamper growth of the target market in the near future. In addition, Stringent regulations regarding emission of hazardous gases such as carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, and others from generators restrain growth of the market. Government and regulatory bodies such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency(EPA), California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) in India, and others have set guidelines to restrict hazardous pollutants from generators.
Due to the negative environmental impact of portable generators, the manufacturers are introducing generators with lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- In April 2018, Briggs & Stratton Corporation launched ‘CO Guard’ carbon monoxide shutdown technology for portable generators
Major key players are focusing on new product development and expansion of plants and facilities to offer a portable generator and create revenue growth opportunities.
- In July 2018, Cummins Inc. launched generator sets powered by the QSX15G8 engine for customers in Nairobi, Kenya
- In October 2017, Cummins Inc. launched C125N6 and C150N6 models in the QSL8.9G Series – commercial generator set that is a fully integrated power generation system providing optimum performance, reliability, and versatility for stationary standby power applications
- In April 2017, Briggs & Stratton Corporation launched new durable and corrosion-resistant aluminum enclosure for its standby generator systems, specifically designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, including hurricane-force winds up to 175 mph
- In May 2017, Caterpillar Inc. launched a new line of rental power solutions Cat XQ60 mobile diesel generator set for addressing the growing demand for backup power
- On 26 January 2017, Briggs & Stratton Corporation, expanded its product offerings with the launch of Maxi-Air Portable Air Compressor, and a full line of Maxi-Power Mobile Generators
- In January 2017, Kohler Co., Inc. launched a full line of Maxi-Power Mobile Generators for a variety of applications, ranging in power output from 25 to 150 kV
Growing awareness related to the various benefits of the portable generator from middle and lower-middle income segment in urban and rural areas, linked with rising disposable income, and changing lifestyle are some of the factors expected to create revenue opportunities for portable generator manufacturers in terms of expansion of customer base in developing countries.
Global Portable Generator Market Analysis, by Fuel Type
Among the fuel type segments, the diesel segment contributes major revenue share in the target market and is expected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period. The diesel segment is also expected to register the CAGR of over 5.1%.
Global Portable Generator Market Analysis, by Power Rating
Among the power rating segments, the 5–10kW segment in the global portable generator market is estimated to account for major revenue share in 2019 and is expected to register the highest CAGR of over 5.4%.
Global Portable Generator Market Analysis, by End-user
Among the end-user segments, the commercial segment in the global portable generator market is estimated to account for major revenue share in 2019 and is expected to register the CAGR of over 5.3%.
Global Portable Generator Market Analysis, by Region
Among the regions, the market in the Asia Pacific is estimated to account for significant revenue share and register a CAGR of over 6.0% over the forecast period. Rapid urbanization and population migration from rural areas to cities in various developing countries have resulted in the urban housing shortage. In order to bridge the gap, government initiatives and undertakings to provide affordable homes and other projects are expected to boost construction activities in countries such as China and India.
- According to the Research Institute of Construction and Economy, Japan’s construction investment in 2016 was around US$ 476.5 Mn, which includes US$ 191.5 Mn from government and US$ 285.0 Mn from the private sector. Moreover, construction investment in 2017 is expected to rise by 1.2% from 2016.
- According to China’s 13th Five-Year Plan for Strategic Emerging Industries Development (2016–2020), the government has undertaken an initiative to aid people moving from rural areas to urban areas and expected to construct and grant urban residency to house 100 million people from rural areas
Moreover, Foreign direct investment (FDI) and simultaneous up gradation of major cities and rural areas leading to rising construction activities, are also expected to propel growth of the target market during the forecast period. Furthermore, portable generators are majorly used in small shops, outdoor events, etc. in the region. Growing awareness regarding the advantages of portable generators over standby generators to fulfill the electricity requirements, giving a new way for growth of the target market.
- According to the 2017 Indian Brand Equity Foundation report, the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) approved nine Foreign Direct Investments valued at US$ 780.43 Mn in 2016
Global Portable Generators Market Segmentation:
Global Portable Generators Market Segmentation, by Fuel Type:
- Others (Natural Gas, Biodiesel)
Global Portable Generators Market Segmentation, by Power Rating:
- Less than 5kW
- Above 10kW
Global Portable Generators Market Segmentation, by End-user:
Global Portable Generators Market Market, by Region:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Generac Holdings Inc.
- Cummins Inc.
- Briggs & Stratton Corporation
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Eaton Corporation PLC
- Kohler Co., Inc.
- Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
- Champion Power Equipment, Inc.
- Smarter Tools Inc.
- 1.0 Chapter 1
- 1.1 Preface
- 1.2 Assumptions
- 1.3 Abbreviations
- 2.0 Chapter 2
- 2.1 Report Description
- 2.1.1 Market Definition and Scope
- 2.2 Executive Summary
- 2.2.1 Market Snapshot, By Fuel Type
- 2.2.2 Market Snapshot, By Power Rating
- 2.2.3 Market Snapshot, By End-user
- 2.2.4 Market Snapshot, By Region
- 2.2.5 Prudour Opportunity Map Analysis
- 2.1 Report Description
- 3.0 Chapter 3
- 1.0 Chapter 1
Don't just take our word. We are trusted by these great companies!